Unlike Christmas, we traditionally spend New Year's Eve at home. Since we are just three in the family, I bet our celebration is the simplest among others. We just bond over an awesome dinner prepared by my mom and eat some of our favorite desserts such as fruit salad, cake and leche flan.
Two years ago, my tita who lived with us for over a year taught us some 'rituals' that should be done right after the clock strikes 12.
1. Wear the lucky colors! This year they were blue, white and red.
|My mom wearing her favorite blue blouse from Zara.|
|A plain white shirt with a bib necklace attached to it (Just G),|
red shorts & blue belt from Greenhills
|My dad in his red polo shirt and a 'torotot' on his head. Haha!|
He got torotots for me, my mom and our maids too. :))
We are not a fan of firecrackers and fireworks are quite expensive that's why we just have fountains to entertain us throughout the night. Luckily, a lot of Chinese people live near our house and we get to watch their wonderful fireworks display as well.
* But we always have one "sinturon ni Judas" which we ask our neighbors to light cause we're all afraid to do it on our own.
2. Turn on all the lights and appliances!
3. Make loud noises! (We scream, beep the horns of all our cars, bang the gong, etc.)
|My dad happily banging our antique gong! =))|
4. Lastly, throw A LOT of coins in the entire house! (As in every room including the bathrooms and even in the garage.) Then we pick them all up in the morning when our maids clean.
You probably think that we have a boring celebration but honestly I wouldn't want it any other way. :) By the way, we go out and enjoy with our neighbors too. We're actually all friends with each other's families for a long time now and it has become a habit that we have a simple street party wherein we all go out after we've done our own family traditions. (Maybe around 12:20/30) Then, we play loud music, go with our own circle of friends, talk and maybe eat at each other's homes. :)
Well no matter how you celebrated it, I hope you guys had a fantastic welcome for 2011 too! :)